Every 50 years of its 150-year history, The Cooper Union has undergone a major restructuring. At each of these moments, an overcrowded school with demands for additional or modernized educational space has met these challenges with the construction of a new academic building—the Abram S. Hewitt Memorial Building, completed in 1912, shortly after the semi-centennial; the Engineering Building, completed in 1960 just after the centennial; and now the academic building at 41 Cooper Square in conjunction with the sesquicentennial. These physical advancements have also responded to key moments in the evolution of the pedagogy of architecture—most notably the development of the curriculum into an accredited professional degree-granting program in 1965; and the launching of the Masters program coinciding with the completion of 41 Cooper Square.